10 Myanmar police killed in ethnic clashes News of the conflict

Fighters from a coalition of rebel groups are reported to have attacked a police station in a new extension after a military coup.

At least 10 policemen were killed in an attack on a police station in eastern Myanmar on Saturday, a coalition of ethnic militias in Myanmar that opposed the general’s crackdown on anti-coup protests, local media reported.

According to media reports, the Nungamon police station in Shan State was attacked by a coalition of fighters from the Arakan Army, the Taang National Liberation Army and the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army in the early hours of the morning.

At least 10 policemen were killed, according to Shawn News, and the Shwe Phi Maya News put the death toll at 14.

A military spokesman declined to comment.

Al Jazeera’s Tony Cheng reports from neighboring Thailand that ethnic militias have been fighting central government forces around the world for decades.

“There has been a lot of talk about the armed groups working together since the coup, but we haven’t seen it before. It has been claimed today that the three worked together, joined the army, and attacked the outpost run by the Myanmar police, killing several policemen. Cheng said the attack lasted for two hours on Saturday morning.

A watchdog says more than 60,000 people have been killed by the army in an investigation into protests against the February 1 coup. As the violence escalated, about a dozen armed groups denounced the insurgents as illegal and vowed to stand with the protesters.

Civil lawmakers, many of whom have been in hiding since their removal, have announced plans to form a “national unity government” with key leaders – and discuss online the general resistance of the generals.

Dozens of bodies

Meanwhile, reports from Myanmar say dozens of people could be killed in military strikes on anti-coup protesters in the city of Bago. Radio Free Asia quoted witnesses as saying that about 0 people were killed in the clashes in a town about 30 kilometers (32 miles) northeast of Yangon.

News site Myanmar now quotes a protesting leader as saying that dozens of bodies were brought to a military-based pagoda compound. Citing both media outlets, eyewitnesses reported a few hours of gunfights that began early Friday morning.

Protests against the February coup continued in Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, Sagaing, Mayik and many more cities on Saturday.

The military crackdown also included reports of protesters being detained and harshly tortured.

On Friday, the military executed 19 people in the northern Okkalpa district of Yangon. According to Radio Free Asia, they were accused of beating the army captain.

The military coup overthrew the elected government led by Aung San Suu Kyi, who is currently under house arrest.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *