Fri. Dec 3rd, 2021


Center for Disease control and prevention on Tuesday Be sure to spray an aromatherapy gemstone Associated with four mysterious bacterial infections in four different states sold at Walmart. Two people, including a child, have died as a result of the infection.

On Friday, the CDC announced A break from the month-long mystery: A bottle of aromatherapy room spray died at the home of a patient in Georgia that was contaminated with bacteria Burkholderia pseudomalai. The dangerous bacterium is commonly found in soil and water in tropical and subtropical climates such as South Asia. When the germ is ingested or inhaled or enters the skin wound site, it can cause a fatal but difficult to diagnose infection called myeloidosis.

As soon as CDC Detected contaminated spray, Walmart and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the withdrawal of the product, Good Home and Garden Gemstone with Lavender and Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray, Which is produced in India. Walmart is offering customers a $ 20 gift card to safely return dangerous spray bottles.

On Tuesday, the CDC confirmed the strain B. Pseudomolei Spray is available Genetically matched The strain infected the dead Georgia patient and three others.

There are often a handful of myeloidosis cases in the United States each year, but they are usually associated with recent trips to areas where bacteria are found naturally. There were no links to the four misleading case trips this year in Kansas, Minnesota, Texas and Georgia. But CDC investigators quickly realized that the cases were somehow connected.

The first case was detected in an adult in Kansas in March and was eventually fatal. On June 30, CDC issued a health alert after identifying officials Two additional myeloidosis cases that were not travel-related: An adult in Minnesota and a 4 years old Inside Texas. Both are said to have survived. In early August, the CDC released an update that a fourth case – a fatal case in Georgia – was identified in a postmortem analysis in late July. The CPSC recall notes that one of the two deaths, presumably in the case of Georgia, was a child.

‘Proverb needle in a haystack’

According to the CDC, the entire genome sequencing of previously operated bacteria was found by the agency B. Pseudomolei In each of the four cases, the strains are closely related to each other and are the most closely matched strains found in Asia, especially South Asia. CDC investigators quickly began looking for a common source, samples of soil, water and various products inside and around the homes of the four patients.

“Our hearts go out to the families who have been affected by this situation,” said Inger Damon, director of the CDC’s Division of High-Conscious Pathogens and Pathology, which manages myeloidosis. Frightened by the wonderful cluster of cases, the CDC rushed to find the source before anyone else fell ill. In a follow-up statement after confirming the link on Tuesday, Damon noted how difficult it was to identify the source – and how relieved he and his colleagues were.

“When you think about how they came in contact with thousands of things around their home, it’s amazing that we were able to identify the source and confirm it in the lab,” Damon said. “CDC scientists and our partners have found the needle in a haystack.”

Walmart is recalling about 3,900 bottles of Better Homes and Gardens Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstone, which comes in six different fragrances, according to a CPSC announcement. All odors are being withdrawn. 5-ounce pump-spray bottles were sold at about 55 Walmart stores across the country (here A list of stores) And online at walmart.com from February 2021 to October 2021. They sold for about 4.



Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *