A number of European-based migrants have drowned off the Libyan coast: the United Nations Migration News


The IOM says “uninterrupted casualties are due to the need for rapid change in the situation in Libya and Central Medicine.”

At least 11 people have drowned when a rubber dinghy carrying two dozen European-based migrants capsized in Libya, the UN refugee agency said.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said the tragedy happened near the western city of Xavier on Sunday. Libya’s coast guard has saved the lives of 12 migrants, it said in a Twitter post.

The IOM tweeted, “Rapid change in the situation in Libya and Central Mediterranean due to incessant casualties.”

These immigrants were expected to be taken to a detention center.

Sunday’s deadly shipwreck was the latest in a series of Mediterranean migrations. Last month, at least 130 people were thought to have died after the boat sank in Libya, one of the deadliest maritime tragedies in years.

Libya has been in turmoil since the 2011 coup that toppled longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi.

In the years following the uprising, Libya emerged as an influential transit point for travelers to Europe.

Since 2014, more than 20,000 migrants and refugees have died at sea trying to reach Europe from Africa.

Of these, more than 1,000,000 are in the Mediterranean, which the UN has described as the world’s most dangerous migration route.

Attempts to cross and try to cross from Libya have increased in recent weeks. According to the IOM, about 7,000 European migrants have returned to Libya so far this year.

Smugglers often put desperate families in sick-equipped rubber boats that stall and pave the dangerous Mediterranean route.

Thousands of people drowned on the way. Others were detained and released at the mercy of armed groups or returned to Libya in incarcerated detention centers.

Human rights groups and UN agencies have condemned the inhumane treatment of detainees in Libya, saying they have suffered beatings, rape and inadequate repatriation.

The European Union has reportedly spent more than 90 million euros (10 109 million) on Libyan coast guard funding and training to close the crossing.

An Associated Press investigation has revealed that the EU sent more than 327.9 million euros (39 397.9 million) to Libya, mainly through UN agencies that created the channel.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *