Three other soldiers were wounded in an attack on Turkish forces in Idlib province.
According to the Turkish Ministry of Defense, an attack on Turkish troops in northwestern Idlib province in Syria killed two soldiers and wounded three others.
Saturday’s assault took place after a search and investigation in the Idlib de-escalation zone, the ministry said in a statement. It identified the dead soldiers as non-commissioned officers of infantry.
Idlib is the last major rebel stronghold in Syria’s civil war and parts are being patrolled by Turkish and Russian troops.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said a roadside bomb attack on a Turkish convoy took place on the road between the city of Idlib and Binnish. It is said that the wounded soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to Turkey.
SOHR said the attack was claimed by a group known as supporters of Abu Bakr al-Siddiq Company, which had claimed previous attacks on Turkish forces.
Acre on the border
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar later traveled to the Syrian border to meet with military commanders.
Northwest Syria has experienced sporadic military activity since a ceasefire was mediated by Turkey and Russia in March 2020, supporting the opposing parties in Syria’s civil war. The deal ended in a crushing Russian-backed offensive in Idlib province.
The Syrian government, which has agreed to negotiate a ceasefire between Russia and Turkey, has vowed to restore control of the territory it lost during the ten-year conflict.
Northwest Syria is home to about four million people, many of whom have been displaced by the civil war that has killed half a million people and displaced half of the country’s pre-war population of 23 million, including more than five million refugees outside the country. has.
In February last year, at least 33 Turkish soldiers were killed in an air strike in Idlib, which led to massive Turkish retaliation against government forces.