Thu. Jan 27th, 2022

The government’s lawyer said Djokovic would not be detained before an interview with immigration officials on Saturday morning and would not be deported until his case was heard.

Australia will postpone attempts to deport the men’s top tennis player Novak Djokovic until his renewed legal challenge is completed.

During an emergency hearing on Friday, government attorney Stephen Lloyd told a judge Australia would not detain Djokovic on Saturday morning before an interview with immigration officials and he would not be deported until his case was heard.

Earlier Friday, the Australian government recalled the tennis player’s visa for a second time which the Serb deported.

It is said that Djokovic, who was not vaccinated for COVID-19, could pose a risk to the community.

Alex Hawke, Minister of Immigration, used discretionary powers after a court set aside an earlier revocation and released him from immigration detention on Monday.

“Today, I exercised my power under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act to cancel the visa held by Mr Novak Djokovic on grounds of health and good order, on the grounds that it was in the public interest to do, “Hawke said. a statement earlier Friday.

The government “is committed to protecting Australia’s borders, particularly with regard to the COVID-19 pandemic”.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison welcomed Djokovic’s pending deportation, saying Australia had one of the lowest pandemic death rates, strongest economies and highest vaccination rates in the world due to its strict policy against the virus.

“Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic and they rightly expect the outcome of those sacrifices to be protected,” Morrison said in a statement. “This is what the minister is doing today to take this action.”

Djokovic’s release of a COVID-19 vaccination requirement to compete has been approved by the Victoria State Government and Tennis Australia, the tournament organizer. This apparently allowed him to obtain a visa to travel.

But the Australian Border Force rejected the release and canceled his visa on arrival in Melbourne.

He spent four nights in hotel custody before a judge reversed the decision on Monday.

On Thursday, Djokovic was included in the Australian Open official draw despite the uncertainty about his visa status.

Djokovic too acknowledge know he tested positive for COVID-19 when he attended a newspaper interview and photo shoot at his tennis center in Serbia last month, admitting he had made a “judgment error” and should have gone into isolation immediately.

The decision to give him a medical exemption to travel to Melbourne to defend his Australian Open title provoked outcry on social media and criticism from other sports players, medical professionals and politicians.

Australian Open organizers said Djokovic had applied for a medical exemption “granted after a rigorous review process involving two separate independent panels of medical experts”.

However, after the announcement, former Australian Rules player Kevin Bartlett tweeted that Australians were “taken for fools”.

Another former player, Corey McKernan, tweeted: “People with loved ones who are dying / some who need urgent treatment cannot get into their own states. You tell people they can not go to Coles or a cafe without to be grown, but if you are world number one, do you get a pass? ”

Many Australians, and especially those in Melbourne hosting the tournament, have been subjected to a series of protracted restrictions over the past two years.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.