Beijing has canceled its annual Hong Kong rally on the occasion of the Tiananmen Genocide


Chinese Communist Party prepares to hold last public event to commemorate Beijing-controlled territory Tiananmen Square Massacre – A goal that has held it for more than three decades.

The annual candlelight vigil at Victoria Park in Hong Kong usually commemorates the thousands of people who died in Beijing on June 4, 1989, when the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) was crushed by pro-democracy protesters and their supporters in the Chinese capital.

When Last year’s surveillance Hong Kong police banned the area from fighting the Kovid-1p epidemic on public health grounds, with thousands of people still turning to light candles as police watched.

This year’s rally on Friday has also been banned due to the epidemic. However, leaders believe that the Hong Kong Congregation is less likely to engage in any other form of mass uprising after the imposition of A. National Security Act Last year which contained harsher punishments for subjugation and other crimes against the state.

The Jagran, held since 1990, has been seen as a symbol of Hong Kong’s independence, reflecting the city’s independence spirit around the world. It became one of the most important annual events for pro-democracy groups, with lighted candles and songs sung in families.

Many believe that even after the epidemic subsides, safety laws will make it impossible to keep future monuments.

“As a result of this move, Hong Kong is moving closer to becoming another Chinese city,” said Minsin Pay, a China expert at Claremont McKenna College in California. “This year, they may be hiding behind the epidemic. Next year, they will use another excuse. “

The mainland academic who advised Beijing on Hong Kong’s policy said the Chinese government could no longer tolerate surveillance.

“The rally has a political purpose and is in conflict with the National Security Act, which prohibits the transfer of state power,” he said. “It’s not an easy get-together.”

He said China should be careful if the legislature is driven by “political unrest”.

Dozens of leaders and activists and a few of those who took part in pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong Two years ago – as well as last year’s banned surveillance – are in jail for taking part in or organizing unauthorized protests. Many of them are also awaiting trial for violating national security laws, which carry a life sentence in prison.

A recent bail application by Claudia Mo., one of 47 defendants to fill a subversion trial, He was rejected after pointing prosecutors to interviews in the Western media. The prosecution quoted WhatsApp messages and television interviews as saying that the National Security Act had left a “political cold” in the region.

Chou Hang-tung, vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance, left in support of the Chinese patriotic democracy movement, and supporters of his group opened a street stall on the occasion of the November 4 genocide on June 4, Bloomberg reported.

Yet many Hong Kong residents will personally light candles to celebrate Tiananmen’s 32nd anniversary.

Lee Cheuk Ian, a veteran pro-democracy activist and vigilante organizer imprisoned for his role in the 2019 protests, told friends he would send a smoke signal from his prison with a cigarette.

“June 4 is a symbol of Hong Kong’s independence,” said Chou Hang-tung, a barrister and vice-chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in support of the Chinese patriotic democratic movement. “Nowadays, the risk of any kind of political participation is very high. [the authorities] Fear is controlling people. ”

However, he added that “the energy that has been stored inside every person for 32 years is not so easy to take action”.

Chou said the government was using the epidemic as an excuse instead of banning the memorial for national security reasons, because “the response would be huge.”

Another member of the coalition, Richard Sosai, argued that this year’s memorabilia was “less visible, but we can save our energy and [hopefully] It has the potential to mourn in the future. “

Willie Lam, a China expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, said he was hopeful he would express a handful of condolences, although the government’s “tough strategy” and the threat of imprisonment could probably deter him from taking part.

Many pro-Beijing figures in Hong Kong have argued that the coalition’s goal, which calls for an “end to the one-party dictatorship” in China, violates national security laws.

“People don’t agree with using this incident to promote a destructive agenda,” said Ronnie Tong, an adviser. Kerry Lam, Hong Kong CEO. Regina Yip, another pro-Beijing politician, said the event was being used as a “big stick for China to clover.”

Others in the Hong Kong establishment, however, fear that Lam’s administration has gone too far in trying to appease Beijing.

An extensive effort is underway to revise how Hong Kong and Chinese history is taught in the region. School curricula are being rewritten and a local museum was temporarily closed Wednesday night after officials complained of local law violations.

An experienced member of the pro-Beijing political camp in the region who felt the crackdown was too much, commented, “It’s getting worse.” “Beijing can’t stand even an opposition voice.”

Additional report from Jining Liu in Beijing



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *