A top UN humanitarian official has warned that the conflict is “not over” and said “the northern part of the Ethiopian region” is “completely or partially accessible” to most aid agencies.
According to the UN’s top humanitarian official, the United Nations and its allies have seen no evidence of Eritrean troops withdrawing from the Tigris region of Ethiopia, and he has warned that the situation in the region has deteriorated.
Speaking at a UN Security Council meeting on Thursday, Mark Locke said Ethiopian Prime Minister Abeh Ahmed had said Eritrea had agreed to withdraw allies sent to northern Ethiopia during the conflict. November 2020 there.
“Unfortunately, I must say that neither the United Nations nor any of the humanitarian agencies we work with has found evidence of Eritrean withdrawal,” Al-Jazeera told the UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, according to a text from his speech. .
After months of dragging, Abi sent government forces to Tigris on November 4 to arrest and disarm the leaders of the then regional ruling group of the Tigris People’s Liberation Front (TPLF), which has dominated Ethiopian politics for decades.
The winner of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize said the move was in response to TPLF-orchestrated attacks on federal military camps. The TPLF said the Abir government and its longtime enemy had launched a “coordinated attack” against Eritrea.
Fighting continued after federal forces entered the regional capital, McClellan, on November 26, but fighting continued and analysts warned of a prolonged stalemate in a conflict that has killed thousands and left more than five million people in need of assistance.
“The humanitarian situation in Tigris has deteriorated,” Logrock said, adding that the “vast majority” of the region, which has a population of about six million people, is “completely or partially inaccessible” to humanitarian organizations.
“The conflict is not over and the situation is not improving,” he said, referring to “continuing reports of rape, gang-rape and sexual violence… especially unrest and alarmingly widespread.”
Citizens continue to suffer “targeted violence, genocide and executions, and systematic sexual violence as weapons of war.”
Thursday’s close-door meeting was the latest in a series of similar sessions since the conflict began more than five months ago, but the Security Council has not yet issued a statement.
Al Jazeera’s diplomatic editor, James Bays, said in a report at the UN headquarters in New York that “the Security Council heard the reports, it had a door-to-door meeting but it was absolutely silent.” “Members of the Security Council could not agree on a statement on the situation.”
Asked by Al Jazeera to improve Tigris’ situation, UN spokesman Stephen Dujarric called for “humanitarian access” as well as a “real movement” among human rights groups to investigate “horrific reports” of atrocities and “true reunions.”
After months of rejection, Abi publicly acknowledged last month that Eritrean troops had entered the Tigris. UN chief Antonio Guterres once said the prime minister had “confirmed” that Eritrean forces were not there.
This week, Amnesty International Dr. On Monday, Eritrean forces opened fire on civilians in the town of Adwa in Tigris, killing at least three people and wounding 19 in an “unprovoked” attack.
Rights group regional director Sarah Jackson described the shooting as “another illegal attack by Eritrean forces on civilians in Tigris.”