Mon. Dec 6th, 2021

Lawyers for the families say they have reached a settlement with the FBI for failing to follow up on tips about the gunman.

The families of most of the students who were wounded or killed in a 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Florida reached a settlement with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), their lawyers said.

The lawyers, representing 16 of 17 students and staff members killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as well as several of the wounded, said Monday that they had reached a settlement over the agency’s failure to investigate tips he received months before February. received. 14, 2018 massacre.

On that day, Nikolas Cruz, who was expelled from high school a year earlier, walked into building 12 armed with an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and indiscriminately opened fire. In about six minutes, he killed 17 people and injured 17 others, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.

US media reported that the FBI would pay a total of about $ 130 million, although details of the settlement were confidential.

“It was an honor to represent the Parkland families who, through their immeasurable sadness, have dedicated themselves to making the world a safer place,” the victims’ attorney general, Kristina Infante, said in a statement. “While no resolution has ever been able to restore what the Parkland families have lost, this settlement is an important step in the direction of justice.”

About six weeks before the shooting, an FBI hotline received a call saying a former Stoneman Douglas student, Nikolas Cruz, had bought guns and planned to “sneak into a school and start shooting the place.” .

“I know he’s going to explode,” the caller told the FBI.

But that information was never sent to the FBI’s office in South Florida and Cruz was never contacted.

Meanwhile, five months before the shooting, the owner of a YouTube channel reported a comment left under one of his videos in which a user named “nikolas cruz” claimed to be a “professional school shooter” would be.

Only days after the shooting, the FBI admitted he did not follow up on any of the information.

Cruz was expelled from school a year before the attack and had a long history of emotional and behavioral problems.

Andrew Pollack, whose 18-year-old daughter Meadow was killed in the shooting, praised the FBI for accepting responsibility for his lack of action, saying the shooting was the result of major failures by the agency, the Broward County school district and sheriff’s office, the school security staff and the psychologists who treated Cruz.

“The FBI has made changes to make sure it never happens again,” Pollack said.

Cruz, 23, pleaded guilty last month to 17 charges of first-degree murder. He will receive either a death sentence or life in prison after a sentencing hearing that is expected to begin in January.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *