Hong Kong’s ‘fake news’ law, media news is expressing concern over media freedom


Carrie Lam says her government is “serious” about spreading “misinformation, hatred and lies.”

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said on Tuesday that the government was working on a “fake news” law to deal with “misinformation, hatred and lies” as well as concerns over media freedom in Chinese-administered territories.

Under Beijing’s direction, Hong Kong has taken an authoritarian turn since enacting a national security law in 2020, campaigning to promote “patriotism” in most areas of city life.

A large-scale observation by a newly hired bureaucrat-led public broadcaster RTHK without any media experience is widely seen as a signal that the official red lines will soon surround journalism as they have other sectors such as education.

Speaking at his weekly news conference, Lam said the government was investigating “fake news”, but added that it had no timetable for the law.

“Fake news laws need a lot of research, especially (how foreign governments are dealing with this growing alarming trend of spreading misinformation, misinformation, hatred and lies on social media),” he said.

“We will continue to be very serious about this issue because of the loss of so many people.”

China has a number of restrictive laws against providing false information, while in the Asia-Pacific region, Singapore and Malaysia have been criticized. The law of sound in detail On “fake news”.

RTHK freelance producer Bao Choi Yuk-ling was convicted of ‘unreasonably accessing public records’ for a police award-winning documentary on conducting a mob attack on pro-democracy protesters. [File: Pak Yiu/Reuters]

Lam’s remarks came a day after RMHKK said the public broadcaster would not renew the contract of its journalist Nabela Kousser, who is known for questioning Lam and other officials during anti-government protests in 2012.

RTH has begun removing some of its archives from its YouTube and social media channels, urging online workers to back up some content on the blockchain platform.

Bao Chai, another RTHK journalist, was convicted last month by a court of “unreasonably accessing public records” for a documentary about a mob attacking pro-democracy protesters, journalists and outsiders.

Her documentary won a local press award the day before, but RTH chose not to accept it.

“It is a mistake for producers to delete their work so that the public does not have access to information,” Bao Cho wrote on Twitter on Tuesday. “It is wrong to delete history so that there is no record of anything. Information is good for society, transparency is good for society, record keeping is good for society.”

The July 2019 attack took place in the northern Yuan Long district, when more than 100 people in white T-shirts were killed Hit people with sticks and poles at a train station, The trio launched widespread criticism of the police, including allegations of joint charges with thugs, which police deny.

The court has not yet convicted any of the attackers.

Reporters Window Borders ranked Hong Kong 60th out of 180 in terms of press freedom in 2020, compared to 30th in 2015.

The group warned that the National Security Act was “particularly dangerous for journalists.”





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *