Fri. Dec 3rd, 2021

Peng has disappeared from the public eye since she made allegations of sexual assault against former Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli on November 2.

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai had a video call with the president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Thomas Bach, telling him she was safe and healthy, the IOC said after Western governments expressed growing concern about her well-being has.

Peng has disappeared from the public eye since she made allegations of sexual assault against former Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli on November 2. Videos and photos of her appeared Saturday, but the women’s tennis tour, the WTA, still had concerns about her well-being.

Emma Terho from Finland, from the IOC Athletes Commission, and Chinese IOC member Li Lingwei were also on the 30-minute call.

“I was relieved to see that Peng Shuai was doing well, which was our biggest concern. She seemed relaxed. I offered her our support and to stay in touch at any time of her convenience, which she naturally appreciated, ”Terho said in a statement.

Peng disappeared after she said on Chinese social media that Zhang forced her into sex and they later had an on-off consensual relationship.

Until 2018, Zhang was a member of the party’s Governing Standing Committee.

France’s foreign minister called on Chinese authorities to provide more reassurance, in line with a statement by the Women’s Tennis Association that the images had been “inadequate”.

Current and former tennis players, including Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams and Billie Jean King, have joined the calls to confirm that she is safe, using the social media hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai.

The concern over Peng came when world rights groups and others called for a boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics in February over China’s human rights record.

The women’s professional tour threatened to pull events out of China unless the safety of the former top doubles player was ensured.

Discussion of Peng’s accusation has been removed from sites in China.

A government spokesman denied on Friday that he knew about the call. The ruling party’s internet filters also block most people in China from viewing other social media abroad and most world news channels.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *