Iran says Natanz facility was shut down ‘nuclear terrorism’


Iran on Sunday described countries trying to sabotage an incident at its main uranium enrichment agency as “nuclear terrorism”. Save the nuclear deal It has signed with the world power.

The head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization says “those who want to stop the development of our nuclear industry” have blackouted the country’s main enrichment underground Natanz site.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran will seriously develop nuclear technology on the one hand and expand efforts to lift unjust sanctions on the other,” Ali Akbar Salehi was quoted as saying.

He added: “While condemning this heinous act, the Islamic Republic of Iran has called on the international community and the International Atomic Energy Agency to combat this nuclear terrorism.”

He did not mention any country by name and did not give any details about the damage or cyber attack. Israel and Iran have been widely understood in the past Target each other Using cyber attacks.

This is the crucial time for the Iran nuclear deal, the biggest effort since Donald Trump abandoned it nearly three years ago in a major effort to salvage the landmark deal.

Discussions in Vienna last week U.S. President Joe Biden said there was an attempt to “revive” the agreement because Washington was ready to rejoin when Tehran agreed.

No direct communication The incident is believed to have taken place between officials in Washington and Tehran, but the presence of both countries at the same venue has been seen as an important step.

Progress, however, may be slow, reflecting internal pressures on both sides. Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi said last week that “step-by-step” promises in any new agreement are not an option and that all sanctions imposed under the Trump administration must be lifted in a single step.

“We are still a long way from a neutral decision but I can say we are making good progress,” he said of the ongoing talks on Wednesday.

Attacking the original deal, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani used a speech over the weekend to praise his country’s nuclear “success.”

Iranian authorities are proud that their nuclear capabilities are higher now than they were before the 2015 nuclear deal. According to the nuclear authority, enrichment capacity has increased by more than 20 percent this year, and Iran also has significant reserves of enriched uranium, the nuclear authority said.

This brings Iran closer to its weapons-grade enrichment capabilities, a major concern for the West and Iran’s regional rivals. Iran denies having any intention of pursuing nuclear weapons and says its nuclear ambitions are perfectly civilian.

Iran has accused Israel of involvement in the Natanz bombings in July Kill his top nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh in November. Israel’s intelligence minister said at the time of the killings that he did not know who was behind the killings.

The Islamic Republic also said an Iranian container ship was targeted by a “terrorist attack” in the Mediterranean in March and another ship was hit by an explosion in the Red Sea the following month.

Israel alleges that Iran targeted an Israeli-owned ship in an explosion in the Gulf of Oman in February. Iran has denied any involvement.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *