Maldives: Nasheed leaves life support after surviving bombing Maldives News


The family of the former president and current parliamentary speaker said doctors were “very happy” with his recovery after the life-saving surgery.

Former Maldivian President Mohammed Nasheed is conscious and away from life support after undergoing multiple surgeries, his family said, adding that police have announced two arrests in connection with the blast. Seriously injured His.

The 33-year-old leader of the ruling Democratic Party of the Maldives and the current speaker of parliament was taken to hospital after a bomb exploded as he tried to get out of his family in the capital, Male, on Thursday evening.

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, but police said on Saturday that two people had been arrested in connection with the blast. A “terrorist” attack.

“I’m fine,” Nasheed said after leaving life support, according to a tweet from her sister Nasheed Sattar on Saturday. His brother, Ibrahim Nasheed, said doctors were “very happy” when Nasheed recovered.

“She is out of life support and breathing on her own,” he said in a tweet. “Managed to exchange a few words. Promises to come back stronger. I trust him. “

On Friday, doctors said Nasheed needed treatment for fatal wounds to his head, chest and abdomen to remove the treatment for 16 hours.

President Ibrahim Mohammed Solih described the incident as an “attack on democracy and the economy of the Maldives” and “assured a speedy and thorough investigation.”

Nassid, who became the Maldives’ first democratically elected president in 2008, was an outspoken critic of radical groups in the Sunni Muslim Islands and was involved in investigating allegations of corruption against opposition leaders.

In 2007, an explosion blamed on extremists targeted foreign tourists and injured 12.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *