Launch would be first this year after leader Kim Jong Un promised to continue developing the country’s military capabilities.
North Korea on Wednesday fired a suspected ballistic missile off its east coast, authorities in Japan said, while South Korea said the country had launched an unidentified projectile.
The launch would be the first of the new year for nuclear-armed North Korea, and comes days after leader Kim Jong Un promised to continue developing the military to counter an unstable international situation.
Japan’s coastguard, which first reported the launch, said it could be a ballistic missile, but did not provide further details.
South Korea’s joint chiefs of staff said North Korea fired an unidentified projectile off the east coast, without expanding.
Pyongyang launched a series of missile launches last year, saying in October it had a “new type”Of submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM). This was the first test of an SLBM since 2019.
The country is banned from conducting ballistic missile tests under United Nations sanctions.