Virginia Giuffre filed a U.S. civil lawsuit against Prince Andrew last month, accusing him of sexually assaulting her.
A US lawyer for British Prince Andrew has rejected claims in a civil lawsuit filed by a woman who accused the prince of sexually assaulting her when she was 17, and disputed whether the case could even be filed.
During a hearing in the U.S. District Court in Manhattan on Monday, the prince’s attorney Andrew Brettler also said that it appears that plaintiff Virginia Giuffre signed her right to sue Queen Elizabeth’s second son in 2009 when he filed a separate lawsuit. solved.
Giuffre, 38, said Andrew’s alleged abuse took place about 20 years ago when financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abused her. Andrew, the Duke of York, denied Giuffre’s allegations.
“This is an unfounded, unsustainable, potentially illegal lawsuit,” Los Angeles-based Brettler said during a conference call.
“There was a settlement agreement that the plaintiff entered into in a previous action that released the duke and others from all possible liability,” Brettler added.
Brettler also said that Giuffre Andrew did not serve properly under British law and the Hague Convention, including when a trial minister filed a copy on August 27 with a police officer guarding the Royal Lodge, the prince’s house in Windsor, England. has, left behind.
Giuffre’s lawyer rejected the claim. “We served him properly,” David Boies told U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan.
Kaplan urged Boies to propose alternative means of serving Andrew, rejecting Bretter’s argument that the Hague Convention procedures must be ‘exhausted’ before American procedures can be applied. The next conference was scheduled for October 13th.
Andrew, 61, is a former friend of Epstein, a registered sex offender who killed himself in a prison in Manhattan in August 2019 after U.S. prosecutors accused him of sexually exploiting dozens of girls and women.
The prince steps down from the royal office and sees charities and other organizations distancing themselves from him after holding a BBC interview in November 2019 generally regarded as disastrous, about his relationship with Epstein.
Giuffre’s lawsuit puts Andrew in a difficult position because he could fail and be liable for damages if he ignores it or faces years of legal battles by defending himself in court.
According to the August 9 complaint, Andrew Giuffre was forced to have unwanted sexual intercourse in the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, the British socialite and Epstein’s longtime collaborator.
The complaint also said that Andrew Giuffre abused Epstein’s mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and on a private island owned by Epstein in the US Virgin Islands.
In a letter dated September 6, a London lawyer suggested to Andrew that Giuffre’s lawsuit could be dismissed because she signed a 2009 release in a separate case in Florida involving claims against persons connected to Jeffrey Epstein ‘.
Gary Bloxsome, of the British law firm Blackfords, said Andrew’s lawyers should review the release and determine its scope.
“Until we have made the decision, it is difficult for us to advise whether the duke should accept voluntary service,” he wrote.
Maxwell het pleaded not guilty she supported Epstein’s sexual abuse. She is facing a scheduled trial on Nov. 29 before U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan in Manhattan.