Sun. May 22nd, 2022

Saudi-led coalition says it will investigate the attack on a prison in Saada, northern Yemen, last week that killed dozens of people.

A Saudi-led coalition accused of a deadly attack at a jail in northern Yemen last week said he was investigating the incident after denying it had launched an air strike.

The coalition said it was not behind Friday’s attack on a detention center in Saada’s Houthi rebel heartland, in which at least 70 people were killed, according to the medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF).

The Houthi movement said at least 91 people were killed and more than 200 others wounded in the airstrike.

The Joint Incidents Assessment Team (JIAT), set up by the coalition, which claims to function independently, said it was following up the case in its “commitment to professionalism, transparency, impartiality and credibility”, according to the official Saudi official. press agency. .

“From the first hours after the news of the incident was announced, the relevant team started investigative procedures and collected data and documents related to it,” it said on Thursday.

“The results will be announced as soon as the investigation is completed.”

Saudi-led coalition carries out deadly airstrikes in Saada and the port city of HodeidaSaudi-led coalition carried out deadly airstrikes in Saada and the port city of Hodeidah [Al Jazeera]

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the Yemeni civil war in 2015 to support the government against the Houthi rebels.

An MSF member has accused the coalition of being behind the Saada air strike.

“There is no way to deny that it was an air strike, everyone in the city of Saada heard it,” an unnamed member of the aid agency said in a statement late Saturday.

The Houthi condemned the air strike as a war crime against humanity, and called on the world to “take responsibility”.

The International Rescue Committee also condemned the airstrike, saying it was the worst incident for civilian casualties in three years.

“Additional attacks could harm more civilians and would further restrict humanitarian organizations’ access to those most in need,” the IRC said in a statement on Wednesday.

The United Nations has called for an investigation into the incident.

“The Secretary-General calls for prompt, effective and transparent investigations into these incidents to ensure accountability,” said Antonio Guterres spokeswoman Stephane Dujarric.

The human rights group Amnesty International said on Wednesday that the coalition had “used precision-guided ammunition made in the United States” in the attack that hit the jail.

The intensification of attacks on Yemen came after the Houthi claimed responsibility for a drone and missile attack in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates on January 17, three civilians killed.

The attack has a mark great escalation in the conflict in Yemen where the Saudi-led coalition, with the UAE as a member, has been carrying out airstrikes since 2015.

Since the intervention of the Saudi-led coalition, hundreds of thousands of people have been killed directly or indirectly and millions have been on the brink of starvation, according to the UN, which has described the situation as the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.