Fri. Jan 21st, 2022

Previously sealed settlement provides release from liability to “any other person” who may face claims from Virginia Roberts Giuffre.

A previously sealed court settlement between the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and an American woman who Prince Andrew claims protect him from an ongoing lawsuit over sexual assault have been made public.

The 2009 settlement agreement between Epstein and Virginia Roberts, now known as Virginia Giuffre, pleaded not guilty to “any other person or entity” that could have been a defendant against claims by the U.S. woman, a court ruling showed Monday.

Giuffre Andrew sued in August. She accuses him of forcing her to have sex more than two decades ago when she was 17 at the London home of former Epstein fellow Ghislaine Maxwell. Giuffre said he also abused her at two of Epstein’s homes. Prince Andrew denied the allegations.

The agreement between the American woman and Epstein, which provided for Giuffre to be paid $ 500,000, was announced as part of her civil lawsuit against Andrew filed in federal court in Manhattan.

The deal resolved Giuffre’s allegations that Epstein hired her as a teenager to be a sexual servant at his Palm Beach, Florida estate.

Andrew, 61, decided to dismiss the lawsuit, arguing that Giuffre was seeking a “payday” for her accusations against Epstein and his associates. Giuffre, 38, is claiming unspecified damages from Andrew. The prince has has not been charged with a criminal offense.

Attorney Andrew Brettler, representing the prince, said the agreement “exempts Prince Andrew and others from any alleged liability arising from the claims Ms Giuffre has made here against Prince Andrew”.

Attorney David Boies, representing Giuffre, said in a statement Monday that the language about protecting potential defendants in the settlement between his client and Epstein is partly “irrelevant” to the prince’s lawsuit because the paragraph did not mention the prince. and he did not know it.

“He could not have been a ‘potential defendant’ in the case against Jeffrey Epstein, both because he was not subject to Florida jurisdiction and because the Florida case involved federal claims in which he was not a party,” he said. said Boies.

Boies said he wanted the Epstein-Giuffre agreement to be made public “to refute the claims made about it by Prince Andrew’s” public relations campaign.

It will now be up to U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan to determine whether the clause in the 2009 treaty times Giuffre sues Andrew.

A hearing on Andrew’s motion to dismiss the civil lawsuit is scheduled for Tuesday.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre stands in front of a bench of microphones while speaking to the pressVirginia Roberts Giuffre, center, says she was a victim of human trafficking who was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew when she was 17 [File: Bebeto Matthews/AP Photo]

Epstein was found dead in his prison cell in 2019 in which authorities later ruled a suicide. He was awaiting trial in his own sex trafficking case.

Attorneys for Andrew have dispute the civil lawsuit on several grounds, including by saying Giuffre has lived in Australia for most of the past two decades and cannot accurately claim to be a resident of Colorado, where her mother lives.

In late 2019, Prince Andrew told the BBC Newsnight program that he had never had sex with Giuffre and said: “It did not happen.”

He said he had “no memory” that he had ever met her.

The interview was widely criticized by critics who said Andrew seemed insensitive to Epstein’s victims.

Andrew relinquished many royal duties in November 2019 and said this his association with Epstein became a “disruption of my family’s work”.

Giuffre’s lawsuit is separate from the criminal trial against Maxwell that ended last week. Maxwell, 60, was convicted of recruitment and care girls for Epstein to abuse between 1994 and 2004.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *