Saudi-led coalition says a second attack on Abha International Airport was prevented and a drone was shot down.
A drone strike at Abha airport in Saudi Arabia has injured eight people, the Saudi-led coalition in neighboring Yemen said.
Following an earlier-reported attack, “a second drone attempting to attack Abha International Airport was intercepted and shot down,” the coalition said Tuesday in a statement issued by the kingdom’s official Al-Ekhbariya. television channel was worn.
“According to initial information, eight people were injured and a civilian plane was damaged.
The coalition said the second attack on the airport was a ‘war crime’ after catching a drunk earlier in the day.
In a second statement, the coalition said the injured included one Saudi citizen, a Nepalese, three people from India and three from Bangladesh – one of whom was in critical condition.
The coalition also said it had launched a military operation targeting a launch pad used in Yemen’s capital Sanaa – since rebel control since 2014 – used to carry out the attack on Abha.
It added that it “destroyed the terrorist elements responsible for the attack”.
According to Al-Ekhbariya, after the coalition intercepted the first attack, grenades hit parts of the airport near the runway.
It added that flights were temporarily suspended “to ensure the safety of incoming and departing aircraft, as well as civilians at the airport”.
The rebels have not yet commented on the incident.
The attack comes days after missiles and drones struck an important military base in southern Yemen, killing at least 30 Saudi-backed Yemeni troops and marking them. one of the deadliest attacks in the country’s years of civil war.
No one claimed responsibility for the attack.
Saudi Arabia intervened in the Yemeni war on behalf of the internationally recognized government in 2015, shortly after the Houthi’s seized Sanaa. The rebels of Iranian allies have repeatedly targeted the kingdom in cross-border attacks.
The deteriorating conflict in Yemen has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced millions, leading to what the United Nations calls the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
While the UN is campaigning for an end to the war, the Houthis have demanded that Sanaa Airport, which has been closed under a Saudi blockade since 2016, be reopened before any ceasefire or negotiations.
The incoming special envoy of the UN for Yemen, Hans Grundberg, will officially accept his duties on 5 September.