Tue. Jan 18th, 2022

Thousands march to the presidential palace in the 12th round of major protests since a military coup on October 25.

Security forces fired tear gas at thousands of protesters in Sudan’s capital Khartoum, television images showed as protesters marched on the presidential palace in the 12th round of massive protests since a October 25 coup.

Internet and mobile services appeared to have been disrupted in Khartoum on Sunday ahead of planned protests against military rule, witnesses told Reuters news agency. Web monitoring group NetBlocks also said mobile internet services had been cut off since the morning.

As with previous demonstrations, which has become regular since the coup, authorities have erected roadblocks, with shipping containers blocking Nile River bridges between the capital and remote areas.

Rallies were repeatedly broken up by security forces who fired rounds of tear gas, as well as charges by police waving batons.

Sunday’s protests came after six people were killed and hundreds injured nationwide protests Thursday against military rule. The death toll since the security forces’ crackdown began in October is now 54, the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said.

The army seized power in a coup on October 25 that ended a power-sharing agreement with civilian political forces. That agreement, which was agreed in 2019, was supposed to pave the way for a transitional government and eventually elections to the overthrow of longtime leader Omar al-Bashir.

Year of ‘resistance’

Protests against military rule continued even after Abdallah Hamdok was reinstated as prime minister in November.

The protesters demanded that the army play no role in the government during a transition to free elections.

Some people have managed to post images on social media showing protests in several other cities, including Ad-Damazin and Port Sudan.

Al Hadath TV quoted an adviser to military leader Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan as saying the military would not allow anyone to bring the country into chaos and that continued protests were a “physical, psychological and mental exhaustion for the country”. and “will not bring about a political solution”.

In a televised speech on Friday, Burhan said disputes over power and loss of life meant that everyone “should use the voice of reason”.

“The only way to govern is through a popular mandate through elections,” Burhan said.

Sudan’s sovereign council, led by Burhan, on Friday condemned the violence that accompanied Thursday’s protests, adding that it had ordered authorities to take all legal and military measures to avoid a recurrence and “no one will go unpunished not”.

Last week, the council reinstated powers of arrest and detention to the intelligence service.

Activists said 2022 would be “the year of continued resistance” in social media posts.

They demand justice for those killed since the coup, as well as the more than 250 who died during the mass protests that began in 2019 and paved the way for the overthrow of Bashir.

Activists also condemned sexual assaults during protests on December 19, in which the UN said at least 13 women and girls were victims of rape or gang rape.

The European Union and the United States have issued a joint statement condemning the use of sexual violence “as a weapon to drive women away from protests and silence their voices”.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *