Thu. Jan 27th, 2022

Sudanese security forces have fired tear gas at protesters protesting against a coup in the capital, Khartoum, according to witnesses and footage posted on social media, while thousands of people across the country rallied to denounce military rule.

Thousands of pro-democracy protesters gathered in the streets of the capital, among others, on Thursday in the first large-scale protest since Abdalla Hamdok announced his resignation as prime minister.

The protests are the latest in a series of protests since Sudan’s armed forces, led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, carried out a coup on October 25, sparking international condemnation.

The coup, in which the civilian leadership was removed and detained, derailed a rocky transition to democracy that began after the removal of longtime leader Omar al-Bashir in April 2019.

The military takeover – one of several in Sudan’s history after independence – caused mass protests and a bloody repression that, according to medics, killed at least 57 people and wounded hundreds.

“Our marches will continue until we restore our revolution and our civilian government,” Mojataba Hussein, a 23-year-old protester, said in Khartoum.

Another protester, 22-year-old Samar al-Tayeb, promised: “We will not stop until we get our country back.”

“We will take to the streets again, on our way to the tyrant’s palace, rejecting military rule and pursuing peace, our strongest weapon,” reads a statement from resistance committees organizing protests from Bahri.

‘Dangerous crossroads’

Thursday’s protests continued despite increased security and the closure of main streets leading to the presidential palace and army headquarters.

Internet and mobile services have also apparently disrupted across the country since late morning, Reuters news agency journalists and Internet blocking observatory NetBlocks reported.

Demonstrations also broke out in Port Sudan in the east, Atbara in the north and Wad Madani in the south, witnesses said.

Protesters in the capital, according to witnesses, beat drums, sang revolutionary songs and held posters of people killed since the coup.

On Sunday, the post-al-Bashir civilian leader, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, thank you, which leaves the army in full control.

He was previously ousted in the October 25 coup and placed under house arrest, but returned to the government on November 21 under an agreement signed with al-Burhan – a move that the protest movement called a “betrayal” and ” rejected a fig leaf for army government. .

In his resignation speech, Hamdok warned that Sudan is at a “dangerous crossroads that threatens its survival”.

The United States, the European Union, Norway and the United Kingdom on Tuesday warned the military to name their own successor to Hamdok, saying they would “not support a prime minister or government appointed without the involvement of a wide range”. civil stakeholders “.

The protest movement is calling for a fully civilian government to lead the transition to elections, a demand rejected by the generals who say that power will only be transferred to an elected government.

Elections are scheduled for July 2023.

Al-Burhan, head of the Sovereign Council, said an independent cabinet with “specific tasks” would be formed as the executive branch of the transitional government.

The military, he said, would “protect the democratic transition” until Sudan is able to hold free and fair elections.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.