Sat. Nov 27th, 2021

A political agreement has been signed in Sudan making it possible for Abdalla Hamdok to be appointed prime minister.

Sudan’s top general Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on Sunday signed the agreement with Hamdok to restore the transition to civilian rule almost a month after a military coup.

The 14-point agreement, signed at the Khartoum presidential palace, also provides for the release of all political prisoners detained during the coup and stipulates that a 2019 constitutional declaration is the basis for a political transition. , according to details read on state television. .

“I must start by saying that our country is guarded and preserved by God Almighty and whatever we achieve at the impasse, my fellow Sudanese people are capable of restoring our country back on track,” Hamdok said.

“When I then accepted the nomination as interim prime minister, I realized that the road was not littered with roses, it would be a challenging task, fraught with risks and dangers. By shaking hands, however, we can all stop our country from diving into the unknown. We must all stand together to make the people decide who will take and keep the rule of power.

“The signing of this framework political agreement will open doors to address all the pending issues of the transition period over the past two years and under this partnership we have managed to achieve a lot. We have brought Sudan back into the international community, lifted its name from the terrorist blacklist and many other achievements. However, we still have many challenges ahead, ”he added.

It remains unclear how much power the government will possess.

The coup, more than two years after a popular uprising forced the removal of longtime ruler Omar al-Bashir and his government, has drawn international criticism.

Sudanese people have taken to the streets en masse since the military takeover, which changed the country’s fragile transition to democracy.

The agreement comes days after doctors said at least 15 people had been killed by live fire during protests against the coup.

Hamdok was detained for weeks under house arrest by military leaders.

“We will continue to work to preserve the transition period until all your dreams of democracy, peace and justice have been achieved,” al-Burhan said after Hamdok’s reappointment. CORRECTING SOURCE OF PHOTO – In this photo provided by Sudan’s Sovereign Transitional Council, Sudan’s Sovereign Council. top general Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, center left, and Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok hold documents during a ceremony to restore Hamdok, who was ousted in a coup last month, in Khartoum, Sudan, on Sunday, November 21, 2021. Burhan, said in television statements that Hamdok will lead an independent technocratic cabinet until elections can be held. It will still remain under military supervision .. (

“Over the past five or six days, a group among themselves has made maximum efforts. All credit goes to them for reaching this agreement and we believe it will pave the way for a total and complete transition period. ”

Sudanese protesters burn tires as they gather on a street in the capital Khartoum on Sunday [AFP]

The Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC) civilian coalition, which shared power with the military, said they did not recognize any agreement with the armed forces.

“We reaffirm our clear and previously announced position: no negotiation and no partnership and no legitimacy for the pitfalls,” the FFC said in a statement.

Those who carried out and supported the coup should face justice, it said, calling on people to turn up Sunday for the latest round of anti-military protests.

The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA) also rejected the political agreement on Sunday.

“The treacherous agreement signed today between Hamdok and al-Burhan is totally rejected, and applies only to his parties,” the pro-democracy group said in a statement.

Earlier in the day, thousands of protesters marched on the presidential palace in the capital, Khartoum, ahead of a meeting between al-Burhan and Hamdok.

Protesters carried Sudanese flags as well as photos of those killed during recent protests against last month’s coup, and shouted hymns against al-Burhan. Tear gas was fired at security forces by protesters as they approached the presidential palace.

“It looks like a massive compromise,” Kholood Khair of Insight Strategy Partners told Al Jazeera.

“If we look at today’s signing, [the PM] was apparently still very much the hostage he was until this morning. The streets were not happy and these people continue to show their dismay over any kind of power-sharing agreement between the civilians and the military.

“It was not just about the release of Hamdok and the political prisoners. It was a much bigger conversation about what Sudan’s political future looks like and honestly it is not. “

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *