Receive free UK policy and policy updates
We will send you a myFT Daily Digest e-mail to update the latest news on British politics and policy every morning.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak will set aside £ 500 million on Monday to help people in the UK find work, as the government struggles with an “adjustment period” following Brexit, which has caused acute labor shortages in some sectors.
Speaking at the start of a Conservative conference in Manchester, overshadowed by fuel shortages and Christmas stockpile disruption warnings, Sunak will insist that the government has a plan to strengthen the workforce.
The £ 500m support package – aimed at those leaving the scheme and older workers – comes after Boris Johnson refused to fill holes in the labor market by pulling ‘the big leverage that indicates uncontrolled immigration’.
Johnson insisted on a shortage of truck drivers and butchers was part of a ‘period of adjustment’ in an economy with better salaries and conditions. He agreed with Sunak that disruption could last ‘months’.
The prime minister said people who voted for Brexit and a Tory government in 2016 wanted to end a broken model of the British economy that relied on low wages and low skills and chronic low productivity.
Secretary of State Liz Truss said at a rally that a free enterprise economy would adapt: ”I do not believe in a command and control economy,” she said. “I do not believe the prime minister is responsible for what is in the shops.”
Sunak announces a £ 500 million expansion of the government’s Plan for Jobs, launched during the Covid crisis, which he said saved nearly 2 million jobs to strengthen the domestic workforce.
There will be more ‘job coaches’ and career advice, as well as coordination with local employers.
Under the extended scheme, workers leave the progress scheme and unemployed people over the age of 50 would be helped back to work as part of this expansion.
Those with the lowest wages will also be helped to progress in their careers, while existing schemes such as Kickstart, aimed at young people, will be extended to next year.
Although the Conservatives showed up in Manchester in good faith and ahead, the prospect of a winter of economic disruption hangs over the prime minister.
Government officials have confirmed that military officials will be deployed on Monday to deliver fuel, particularly in London and the south-east where the petrol crisis remains worst.
Officials met Sunday to analyze the latest data. One person with knowledge of the situation said the crisis “definitely improves”, but the southeast remains “lagging behind with the rest of the country”.
According to a poll conducted by the Petrol Retailers Association, about 17 percent of gas stations across the country were empty, similar to the level Saturday.
However, the situation in London and the surrounding area was much worse than the rest of the country, with about 22 per cent of the stations reporting that they were completely without fuel.
“This is a big problem in the future,” said Brian Madderson, chairman of the PRA. He said he had asked the government to prioritize the capital and the south-east, but that there had been a ‘huge improvement’ in the rest of the country.