Medici say 16-year-old was shot in the head by security forces in Omdurman while protesters rejected agreement with army.
A 16-year-old man has been killed after being shot in the head by security forces in the Sudanese city of Omdurman, the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said in a statement.
The incident took place on Sunday during protests that continued despite the reappointment of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok in a political agreement with military leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who vowed to release all political detainees after weeks of deadly unrest. coup was caused.
Under the agreement, Hamdok, who was only appointed after the overthrow of longtime leader Omar al-Bashir in a 2019 uprising, will lead a civilian government of technocrats for a transitional period.
The agreement faces opposition from pro-democracy groups that have demanded full civic rule. Hamdok, a hero for the protest movement, quickly became the villain for some.
“Hamdok has sold the revolution,” protesters sang after the deal was announced.
The Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), a leading protest group, called it “treacherous”.
Tens of thousands of people joined scheduled rallies in the capital, Khartoum, and its twin cities of Omdurman and Bahri. Security forces fired bullets and tear gas to disperse them, witnesses told Reuters news agency.
“Hamdok disappointed us. Our only option is the street, “said Omar Ibrahim, a 26-year-old protester in Khartoum.
The coup caused mass protests against the military. Sunday’s assassination brings the toll to 41 of people who have died in protests since the military coup on October 25, the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors, which is in line with the protest movement, said.
After reaching an agreement, Hamdok said he agreed to the agreement to prevent more casualties.
“Sudanese blood is precious, let’s stop the bloodshed and direct the youth’s energy in construction and development,” he said during a signing ceremony broadcast on state television.
Al-Burhan said the agreement would be inclusive. “We do not want to exclude anyone except, as we have agreed, the National Congress Party,” he said, referring to al-Bashir’s former ruling party.
However, the agreement made no mention of the Forces of Freedom and Change (FFC), the civilian coalition that shared power with the military before the coup.
The FFC said it did not recognize any agreement with the armed forces.
“We reaffirm our clear and previously announced position: no negotiation and no partnership and no legitimacy for the wellheads,” the alliance said in a statement.
Those who carried out and supported the coup should face justice, it said.
Several of the resistance committees that organized protests also posted statements rejecting any agreement with the military.
Hamdok was placed under house arrest when the military seized power, derailing a transition to 2023 elections.
The army disbanded Hamdok’s cabinet and detained a number of civilians who held top positions under the power-sharing agreement reached after the overthrow of al-Bashir.
Under Sunday’s agreement, a constitutional declaration made in 2019 between the military and civilians will remain the basis for further talks.
Western powers that supported Sudan’s political transition condemned last month’s takeover and suspended economic aid to Sudan, which is trying to recover from a deep economic crisis.
The United Nations welcomed Sunday’s agreement, but said all parties must “urgently address unresolved issues to complete the political transition in an inclusive manner, with respect for human rights and the rule of law”.
“We also expect that all those arrested on or after October 25 will be released immediately as a first gesture to implement this agreement,” the UN mission in Sudan said.