The death toll in Gaza has risen as Israel has stepped up airstrikes News of the conflict


Israel has carried out more airstrikes and artillery shelling of the enclave, killing more than 100 people in Gaza, and Hamas has sent a heavy barrage of rockets deep into Israel, even as Egyptian negotiators have personally negotiated with both sides.

Palestinians mark first day with no sign of easing in four days of border violence Eid al-Fitr Thursday is a religious holiday, and the violence has spread to a mixed community of Jews and Arabs in Israel, a new front in the long-running conflict.

In another possible escalation, at least three rockets were fired from southern Lebanon at Israel, threatening to open a new front in the fight.

The United States is sending its envoy, Hadi Amr, to the region, thinking that the worst hostilities in the region could spiral out of control over the years. Egypt, Qatar and the United Nations have so far shown no signs of progress.

In the latest airstrikes in Gaza, Israeli warplanes bombed a six-story residential building, according to Hamas, the group that controls Palestinian enclaves. Netanyahu says Israel has carried out a total of 1,000 targets in Gaza.

Palestinian eyewitnesses said Israeli artillery and tank shells fired on Gaza on Thursday evening forced most families to flee their homes.

Gaza’s health ministry said 109 people, including 26 children and at least 11 women, had been killed and 560 injured since the Israeli operation began on Monday – a previous crisis that had put pressure on hospitals.

A Palestinian rocket has hit a building near the Israeli commercial capital, Tel Aviv, injuring five Israelis, police say. The Israeli military says seven people have been killed since the start of hostilities in Israel.

Israel seized additional troops and tanks near Gaza on Thursday, and Israel’s defense minister approved the deployment of 9,000 more reserve troops. But the fact that the armed forces were the primary focus of operations against Palestinian fighters was not a steady attack.

Army spokesman Jonathan Conricus said, “We are ready and continue to prepare in a variety of situations,” describing an imperial offensive as “a scene.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the operation would “take more time.”

Al Jazeera’s Harry Fawcett reports from southern Israel that the Israeli army is about to present a plan for a ground operation to the government.

“That doesn’t mean it’s [the plan] Going forward as a ground attack on Gaza would be a huge escalatory move that would carry a huge amount of risk with it, ”he said.

There are many world leaders Condemnation of violence And called for restraint, and a visit by Egyptian security officials to the international effort to bring about a ceasefire was a significant step forward – an effort that has been a key issue in the past.

Two Egyptian intelligence officials say officials first met with Hamas leaders in Gaza before holding talks with Israelis in Tel Aviv. They spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not allowed to speak to the press.

Nevertheless, both Israel and Hamas were determined to move forward.

In Gaza, a shake was given throughout Eid al-Fitr, a holiday at the end of the month of Ramadan. It is usually a festive time when families shop for new clothes and gather for big celebrations.

Instead, Hamas called on the Taliban to perform communal Eid prayers at their homes or inside nearby mosques without going out publicly as homes.

Dozens of mourners took to the streets with the bodies of an 11-year-old and a 13-year-old man in the southern Gaza town of Khan Yunis when Israeli airstrikes hit a bus near the bus on Wednesday.

In Israel, rocket fire from Gaza enlivened the southern community near the enclave, but reached as far north as the Tel Aviv region, about 0 km (45 miles) away, on the second and third day.

The barrages were set up to show that Hamas’s arsenal was full even after three nights of Israeli airstrikes and killings on Wednesday. Several Hamas commanders.

The Israeli has diverted some incoming planes from Bell Gurion International Airport to Raman Airfield in the south of the country near Tel Aviv, the transport ministry said. Several flights have also been canceled.

Hamas said it had fired its most powerful rocket-propelled grenade at Raman on Thursday, 1,180 kilometers (110 miles) from Gaza.

According to Israeli media, the rocket landed in the desert and no air strike siren sounded.

Nevertheless, flights were briefly suspended at the airport, with several planes leaving in operation before landing and take-off resumed, tracking websites reported.

Netanyahu inspected the batteries of the Iron Dome missile defense system, which the military said prevented 90 percent of the 1,200 rockets that have reached Israel from Gaza so far.

“It will take more time, but with the utmost determination … we will achieve our goal – to bring peace back to the state of Israel,” he said.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has condemned “indiscriminate rocket launches” from Gaza’s civilian areas towards Israel’s population center, but called on Israel to show “maximum restraint”.

Interrelated violence

The current outbreak of violence began a month ago in East Jerusalem, where heavy Israeli police tactics and threats were made during Ramadan. Forced expulsion Thousands of Palestinian families in their homes in Sheikh Jarrah Para protested and set fire to police barricades to pave the way for Jewish settlers.

Israel fully considers Jerusalem as its capital, and the Palestinians want East Jerusalem to be the capital of their future state.

Hundreds of Palestinians were injured by Israeli police over the weekend and Monday Invading worshipers Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and its surroundings.

Hamas launched a barrage of rockets in Jerusalem late Monday night after Israel failed to meet any ultimatum to stop the army from leaving al-Aqsa compound.

The recent fighting has also brought violence to a standstill between Jewish Israelis and Israeli Palestinians, in the deadliest inter-conflict unrest of decades. Netanyahu warned that he was ready to use “iron fists if necessary” to quell the violence.

The clashes resumed late Wednesday night. The Jewish and Palestinian Israeli people fought in the central city of Lode, despite a state of emergency and a curfew at night, known as the center of trouble.

At nearby Bat Yam, Jewish nationalists dragged a driver out of their car who they suspected was Palestinian and beat him until he was immobile.

Israeli police say Lode was shot and wounded and an Israeli Jew was stabbed.

A Palestinian man has been stabbed and seriously injured in the central Jewish market in Jerusalem.

In the occupied West Bank, the Israeli army said it had intervened in a shootout with Palestinians that wounded two people. The Palestinian health ministry said the suspected gunman had been killed.

At least 34 Palestinians have been injured overnight in clashes with Israeli forces Occupy the West Bank, Nida Ibrahim of Al Jazeera reported.

Ibrahim said most of the people were hit by live ammunition and most were injured in the southwestern city of Hebron.

“It was exceptionally seriously injured by the live fire which shows us that the situation could escalate rapidly,” he added.

Ibrahim said at least eight Palestinians were injured when a group of illegal settlers attacked the village of Dubanah, near Hebron, on Thursday. Four of them have been admitted to the hospital, local sources said.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *