Lawyers tasked with finding isolated immigrant families by the Trump administration say they are unable to reach the parents of 545 children in an effort to create this barrier. Coronavirus The epidemic, according to a lawsuit filed in court on Tuesday.
“People keep asking me when we’ll find all the families, and unfortunately I don’t know,” Lee Gerant Buzzfeed, deputy director of the ACLU’s Immigrant Rights Project and deputy director of the ACLU, told News. “Numbers tell a story, but each individual child has his or her own human dimension and so since we can’t find each family we can’t stop looking.”
In 2018, the Trump administration regularly separated thousands of children from their parents under a so-called “zero tolerance policy,” where parents were sent to federal prisons before going to court on charges of entering the United States without permission. Children cannot be sent to federal prisons with their parents, the government has separated them, listed them as minors and transferred them to the custody of the Office for Refugee Rehabilitation (ORR).
Wednesday’s report was filed on behalf of a Congolese asylum seeker known as Mr. L., who was separated from his 7-year-old daughter by U.S. immigration authorities, on behalf of a Congolese asylum seeker filed by the ACLU in February 2018. The mother and daughter were reunited, but the case was expanded to include a classified lawsuit that separated thousands of immigrant families by the U.S. government.
The Trump administration was actually after that last year’s revelation Separating the family in early 2017 summer As part of a pilot program, the class included 1,030 more children who were separated from their parents as early as July 1, 2017.
As of Tuesday, a committee of legal entities and nonprofits formed by the ACLU to identify isolated families has tried to reach out to the parents of all members of the extended class, successfully reaching 485 children, the report said.
Unable to reach the committee among parents, the ACLU believes that about two-thirds have already been deported to their home countries.
“The contact information the government gave us was basically stale, so we’re looking for families on Central American soil … but ground searches have stopped because of secrecy,” Gelant said.
He described the situation as “extraordinarily tragic” and said some children in the United States, ranging from close relatives in the volunteer family to those living with sponsors, were separated three years ago and “now” spent more than half their lives apart from their parents. “
The report noted that the on-ground effort, which was suspended due to the epidemic, is being resumed.
“It would be safe for the steering committee to continue its on-the-ground search and keep the court updated on its progress, especially if such investigations must be restricted or suspended due to travel restrictions or health risks,” the report said.
Adolfo Flores contributed to the reporting.