Mon. Oct 18th, 2021


The Pentagon says a “minor harassment attack” by the Taliban will not affect President Joe Biden’s Sept. 11 pullout outdate.

A Pentagon official says “small-scale harassment attacks” by the Taliban in Afghanistan have had little effect on the situation. Withdrawal of US and NATO troops From the country.

The Pentagon’s press secretary, John Kirby, made the remarks shortly after the US officially began withdrawing troops on Saturday.

“What we saw was a bit of a harassment attack over the weekend that didn’t have a significant impact, certainly not on our people or our resources and bases there,” Kirby told reporters on Monday.

“So far we have not seen anything that has affected the collapse of Africa, or any significant impact on the mission in Afghanistan,” he said.

President Joe Biden April 13 announcement All U.S. troops leaving Afghanistan by 9/11 – about 3,500 at the time;

Officials soon announced that about 1,000,000 troops would also leave the country as part of the NATO alliance.

Biden said the U.S. withdrawal would not be “conditional,” meaning that it would continue to make progress regardless of the suspension.

In recent weeks, there have been Taliban This has further increased the attack Against the US-backed Afghan government, the possibility of an attack on US forces has increased.

Meanwhile, fighting in the first quarter of 2021 showed that 5,373 Afghan civilians were killed and 1,210 wounded, a 29 percent increase from the previous year, according to UN figures.

Kirby said the U.S. military would maintain its ability to respond to attacks throughout the withdrawal, telling reporters that U.S. Commander-in-Chief General Austin Miller “certainly has the option to respond to his solution to ensure he is protecting our troops and our people.”

One incident, the attack on a military airfield in Kandahar used by U.S. forces, was preceded by a U.S. spokesman dismissing him as an “ineffective indirect fire” that left no one injured.

On Saturday, as it began withdrawing its forces, the U.S. military launched a “fair strike” against the source of the fire, officials said.

‘It’s All Over’

Fighting has erupted between the Taliban and Afghan government forces in the wake of the US announcement, with more than a hundred members of the Afghan security forces killed.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has said the government is “ready” to continue fighting after the withdrawal, with at least one US military official questioning the ability of Afghan forces to occupy territory against the Taliban group, which was ousted by foreign forces. Invaded about 20 years ago but still controls huge swaths of the country.

In April, General Kenneth “Frank” McKenzie, head of the Central Command directing the Afghan army, expressed “concern” that the Afghan forces were not receiving ground support from foreign forces, including intelligence, firefighters, and aircraft. Support

“Everything will be gone,” he said The U.S. Senate committee told legislators In April.

On Monday, Kirby added that the Pentagon was “well aware” of the risks to many Afghans working for US and coalition forces because of the Taliban’s rise to power and the threat to seize control of Kabul.

He said U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin was discussing with other officials “how we will meet our obligations to them.”





Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *