Survivors of detention centers’ airstrikes condemn the attack as another ‘crime’.
Yemeni detainee Mohammed Ali Salem was fortunately a missile fired by fighter jets from the Saudi-led coalition on the next ward, causing a wave strong enough to break the door of his cell.
That was how he was able to escape before a second bomb went off.
“When they hit ward 8 … the door of pressure opened and we walked out. God has given us safety, thank the Lord, ”he said, recounting the dawn that was attacking it. targeted the detention center where he was detained Friday.
Others, wrapped in white corpses, were not so happy. At least 80 people died when missiles hit a detention center in the Yemeni province of Saada, the stronghold of the Houthi group that has been at war with a Saudi-led coalition since 2015.
Save the Children said in a statement that three children were also killed in airstrikes in the western city of Hodeidah on Friday.
The raids, which followed on missile and drone attacks on the United Arab Emirates on January 17, caused an international uproar and brought back attention to a forgotten and deadly conflict.
The Saudi-led coalition denied on Saturday that it had targeted the detention center, adding that it was not on any target lists agreed with the United Nations and did not meet the standards set by the Third Geneva Convention on Prisoners of War, according to the state news agency.
The attacks, the deadliest in more than two years, came amid an unprecedented escalation in the seven-year conflict with clashes raging over control of Yemen’s oil-rich regions of Shabwa and Marib, and an increase in cross-border attacks.
The missile attacks on Abu Dhabi followed dozens of similar attacks on Saudi Arabian cities with armed drones and ballistic missiles.
In Saada, hundreds of people gathered around body bags near the detention center of the detention center on Saturday, searching for information about their family members. Some checked the bodies in hopes of identifying their loved ones.
“We visited from Amran province to find out that the prison had been hit by warplanes. “This is another crime that needs to be added to their other crimes,” said Salman Badi, one of the family members.
Sultan al-Qahim, whose face was burned in the attack, said he lost consciousness after a third bomb went off.
“I sat with my friends in our hall and then the warplane came and struck with a first attack. And a while later, two more hit. After that nothing, ”he said at the Republican Hospital in Saada, where most of the wounded were treated.
The United Nations has called for “rapid, effective and transparent investigations into these incidents to ensure accountability”.